Friday, October 2, 2015

Changing School Paradigms

Watch this video here.  It can really be an eye opener.  Especially in countries where the "Western" ideals have been adopted.  I watched this as an assignment for school last semester, and it hit right on the nail for me.  It helped put into words so many of the things that I have felt about our current school system.  It does a disservice to SO many children, and makes them feel that they don't have what it takes to make a difference in the world.  I truly believe with all my heart that many of these children not only have what it takes to do what they want with their lives, but are almost destined to do so.  They are just made to feel like they can't because of how our system is run.


The biggest problem I find myself thinking about after watching this video is that now that we've recognized this problem, I don't really have a great idea for how to fix it.  I'm not sure anyone does yet.  Though I refuse to believe that this is the way it has to be, I have yet to be able to find a way to have a school system that benefits more children.  Of course, living with a school system that has been designed this way for all my life may just have made it difficult for me to imagine schools in any other way.  Maybe that's the whole problem: everyone is so stuck on our current system, that no one has yet been able to think far enough outside the box to make a radical change.

What are you're thoughts on this subject?  What sort of changes can we make to our school system in order to help decrease the number of children that are put aside by our current school system?  What disservice has our current system done you or someone you know?  Comment below. :) 

And don't forget!  Starting tomorrow we begin our countdown to Halloween!  Thirteen posts with DIY decorating tips and ideas!  All starting tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment